Sunday, February 6, 2011

Manic for the Superbowl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwclLUcTF3E

This commercial probably doesn't show the norm of how most people view the Superbowl. In reality who would miss their child's, grandchild's or any other close relative's birth for a football game? But obviously, based on the six other men Visa is highlighting in there series of Superbowl commercials, there are some and possibly many more than we know, who take professional football that seriously.
The question I want to ask is; how have these skewed value's affected families? I'm not saying that the NFL is responsible for the rate of divorce and broken families, but I think it's a pretty significant sign of the moral status of our nation when a man, or even a few men are willing to miss weddings for a football game that happens every year, just so they can say they've never missed a game.
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there's something I'm missing in this wonderful game of football, but I don't think a new life being born or the union of two people is something to be missed for a game. Maybe this commercial does show the reality of what our country values--the union of marriage is less important and not as serious of a commitment as going to a professional football game every year, instead of being married, keeping a promise that lasts forever, once made.
You can disagree, maybe this is a long shot comparison. But when I first saw this commercial it genuinely made me sad. Sad for our country, sad for that man and sad for his family.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Talk about misplaced priorities. Thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts. I agree it's pretty sad . . .

    ReplyDelete