Monday, February 14, 2011

Christina Perri - Jar of Hearts


I first heard this song last summer on the show So You Think You Can Dance, which was the first debut of it and how the song has gained such popularity up to now. Ever since I heard it I couldn't stop listening to it. And once the music video came out I got it on iTunes right away.

Christina Perri has a gorgeous voice and the passion she sings with in this song is inspiring. You can't help but feel the emotion and the hurt that she has experienced and is communicating in this song.

Personally, this song has had a pretty big impact on me, not because it motivated me to do anything different or because it changed some aspect of my thinking, but this song gave my heart a voice. Maybe that sounds cheesy or shallow, but just because a song makes it on Ryan Seacrest's Top 40 Countdown doesn't mean it's dumb or bad music or that liking it means you lack musical depth and/or that you are a shallow person.

This song almost completely encapsulates my life experiences. Some of the lyrics that mean the most to me in this song are:

"And who do you think you are?
Runnin' around leaving scars
collecting your jar of hearts
Tearing love apart
You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
So don't come back for me
Who do you think you are"

"It took so long just to feel alright
Remember how to put back the light in my eyes
I wish I had missed the first time that we kissed
'Cause you broke all your promises"

The chorus, which is the whole first quotation, is so powerful and her voice is so strong in these lines. I can't help but feel the same things that she is expressing.

And the second set of quotations from the song, those words are the one's that resound strongest in me. It did take a long long time just to feel alright, and I wish we would have never kissed. That was a bit of self-disclosure, but you need to know how much this song means to me and how personal it is.

Theologically, thinking about it, it was hard to see any theology in her lyrics. I do see that there are themes of staying out of unhealthy relationships, that according to Perri's music video, she got her "heart back" in the end... I think this song represents well, along with the music video, that Perri also learned to protect her heart better in the future. As Christian's we are to only give our heart's fully to Him until and only if we get married.

I love this song.

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty powerful. Are the dancers in the video from So You Think you Can Dance?

    ReplyDelete